Bienvenue invité ( Connexion | Inscription ) Recevoir à nouveau l'email de validation  

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ricky Hui Koon Ying
Suivre ce sujet | Envoyer ce sujet | Imprimer ce sujet
Pages : (2) [1] 2  ( Aller vers premier message non lu )
manolo
Ecrit le : Mardi 15 Avril 2008 16h47
Quote Post

Superstar

Groupe : Team HKCinemagic
Membre n° : 3084

Dragon

Not only because it was cruelly missing to this forum, that already has an Athena Chu or a Bobby Yip topic in the French section, but also to stop interfering in the Sammo dedicated topic, I think it was time to have a dedicated topic for Ricky Hui. icon13.gif

user posted image

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
manolo
Ecrit le : Mardi 15 Avril 2008 17h04
Quote Post

Superstar

Dragon

I’ll start the discussion with the last Ricky movie I’ve seen : Laughters Of "Water Margins".

I was a little anxious about that one because it doesn’t seem to be very appreciated by western audiences, but I had a nice moment watching it. I thought it would be more action orientated as it started with the Tiger killer episode and some drunken boxing by Sam Hui, but the story quickly moves to Ng Man-Tat and Teresa Mo’s blackmail business. The story is quite funny and the film very fast paced (it runs just a little more than 80 minutes) but I have to admit I had more laughs with another period stories parody : Once Upon A Time A Hero In China and its sequel Master Wong VS Master Wong. Anyway, I’m sure I’ll enjoy watching it again in the future.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Clarissamia
Ecrit le : Jeudi 17 Avril 2008 09h39
Quote Post

Rognure de Jackie Chan

Groupe : Membres
Membre n° : 649

Phoenix

I'm really glad that you opened this topic, manolo biggrin.gif, although I am a bit pessimistic in this matter. It might be only you and me discussing Ricky, as there is very little interest about him, he has a very limited fanbase. I had a Ricky forum before, but after a promising start it simply died, due to lack of interest. Since then it died completely, as jconservnet, the host simply disappeared. I really regret it, as the discussions were interesting there even though few in number biggrin.gif

I am happy you liked Laughters of the Water Margins, as it is one of my favourite Ricky films. I even "comitted" a so-called Review about it on my Ricky Hui Site. Also, there are some Photos about Ricky as Mr. Simon laugh.gif

Sam Hui was great, I liked his humour in this film, and let us not forget about the late Lydia Shum, who passed away only recently. I found the cast brilliant in general, couldn't think of any other actors for the roles, just perfect!

--------------------
They changed my life: Sammo Hung and my Man Choi Ricky Hui Koon Ying
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
manolo
Ecrit le : Jeudi 17 Avril 2008 10h39
Quote Post

Superstar

Dragon

Yes I've read your review again after watching the movie. I expected a lot from it because I saw Mr Simon was your second favourite character after Man-choi.

Maybe few people will post in this topic, but we can hope lots will read it and maybe be inspired to discover Ricky.

The only problem I see is that Ricky isn't very active now, but you might be better informed than me as I don't spend much time on HK and Chinese net ressources. So we won't be able to update with news like Zephir does for Sharon Stone in the French section of the forum. On the other hand, we have almost 30 years in the past to explore, so that's enough to fill a topic.

I saw Joy Sales released some movies featuring Ricky recently. I'll go buy them in the week-end.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
manolo
Ecrit le : Jeudi 17 Avril 2008 10h43
Quote Post

Superstar

Dragon

Latest releases from Joy Sales :

Who is the craftiest

user posted image

Infatuation

user posted image

Fumbling cops

user posted image

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Clarissamia
Ecrit le : Jeudi 17 Avril 2008 11h50
Quote Post

Rognure de Jackie Chan

Phoenix

Oh, you just told me some wonderful news! 3 of these films are missing from my collection, I was unable to find any copy of them! biggrin.gif I only have "Who is the Craftiest?". Would you believe, it is another favourite of Ricky's roles to me, even though I haven't written my review about it. What got me in this film is that it gives us a glimpse into something we haven't really seen: Ricky's dramatic side. It is far from a drama, but his role demands of him some dramatic and heartbreaking responses and he handles themperfectly. Here's the Photo album for that film. and little synopsis by me.

As you might have noticed before the top of the mountain for me is "Mr. Vampire". Ricky as Man Choi is the perfect choice!

Ricky retired from the film business, he hasn't done any films since 2004. But he was kinda active in the music field. Last year he had his very own concert on July 30, 2007. As in August he was 60 years old, it was a wonderful celebration of his career. Sam Hui is on tour now I think, Ricky was a guest performer in December, and even recently, in the Singapore concert, March 29. He was guest in other concerts as well, with various artists in 2001, in 2004, and with Rosanne in 2005. He also sang some vocals on Ryan Hui's coverversion of Sam Hui's song last year, the title song of the film "The Private Eyes" The Private Eyes: Half Catty 許懷欣 半斤八兩 and appeared in the videoclip too.

And here are someclips with Ricky singing:

Hehe, that reminds me, I have to update his biography... ;-)

--------------------
manolo
Ecrit le : Jeudi 17 Avril 2008 18h28
Quote Post

Superstar

Dragon

I love The Private Eyes song. I used to rewind the opening scene just to listen to the song over and over. It makes me want to watch the movie again.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Clarissamia
Ecrit le : Jeudi 17 Avril 2008 20h18
Quote Post

Rognure de Jackie Chan

Phoenix

Then do it, don't deny it from yourself, it is a great movie biggrin.gif I have many favourite scenes in it, mainly Ricky of course, but Michael Hui is also a fantastic experience to watch. I love the scene when he wants to cook the chicken and ends up doing some gymnastics laugh.gif Oh, I could list so many great moments... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
manolo
Ecrit le : Jeudi 17 Avril 2008 22h07
Quote Post

Superstar

Dragon

I regret I didn't buy the Fortune Star Hui brothers boxset at the time it was released. Now it's hard to find and quite expensive. goutte.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Clarissamia
Ecrit le : Vendredi 18 Avril 2008 10h48
Quote Post

Rognure de Jackie Chan

Phoenix

Yes, that's true unfortunately. I was lucky enough to buy it in time smile.gif

--------------------
manolo
Ecrit le : Mercredi 07 Mai 2008 17h52
Quote Post

Superstar

Dragon

I've watched Fumbling Cops and this comedy is just ok despite the good cast.

Ricky has only a supporting role in this one, playing an alcoholic cop. Of course, each of his appearances is comic, except that he has to drink Stanley Fung's urine by mistake. icon8.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Clarissamia
Ecrit le : Jeudi 08 Mai 2008 14h56
Quote Post

Rognure de Jackie Chan

Phoenix

Oh, yuck!!! But I am convinced he handles that absolutely professionally laugh.gif

Poor Ricky was used a lot of times for such silly supporting roles, which personally I don't like. He bring the best out of them all, but there is much more in him than that... dry.gif

--------------------
manolo
Ecrit le : Mercredi 14 Mai 2008 12h03
Quote Post

Superstar

Dragon

I've watched Infatuation and I really had a nice moment with this one.

Summary : Tong Tai-chung (Lowell Lo) is a musician who comes back to Hong after travelling over Europe and the USA for seven years. On his return he helps his old friend Brainlet (Ricky Hui) who earns a living by shooting wedding parties. The first wedding Tong shoots, he falls in love with the bride Yiu-Yiu (Cecilia Yip).

I really enjoy to see Lowell Lo in front of the camera. Like Tsui Hark, I find his acting simple but exciting. It's quite hard to describe. Anyway this is one of his only leading roles and he acts very well. Cecilia is very fresh as the childish bride. And Ricky... he's just Lowell's sidekick in this movie. But his character his always sympathic even though he erases his friend's tape to record blue movies or has his coward attitude when his friends insults the always rude Shing Fui-on. But he is always the good friend that push Lowell when he is down.

The movie is overall very simple, but what else could you expect from a mid-80's romance? Anyway I found it delivering a nice positive mood that is really enjoyable from time to time. The music is off course very good. The opening score with slide guitar and harmonica is excellent as well as the song in the middle of the movie when Lowell and Cecilia sing in the streets. icon13.gif

The middle song of the movie (different clip) :

The Joy Sales edition has a good image and easy-to-read subtiles. All song are subtiled and translated which is always enjoyable. icon13.gif

*** For the webmasters : on the cast you should add :
- Yeung Jan Yiu as Steve Ho, Cecilia Yip's husband.
- Chan Laap Ban as Steve Ho's mother.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
manolo
Ecrit le : Samedi 31 Mai 2008 13h24
Quote Post

Superstar

Dragon

A photo gallery has been added for Infatuation. icon13.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Jean-Louis
Ecrit le : Mercredi 04 Juin 2008 18h20
Quote Post

HK film expert

Groupe : Administrateurs
Membre n° : 3

Dragon

Ghost For Sale gallery online wink.gif

Image attachée
Image attachée

--------------------
Administrateur du forum hkcinemagic.com
Responsable Base de données et co-webmaster du HKCinemagic.com
Database Responsable and co-webmaster of HKCinemagic.com
manolo
Ecrit le : Mardi 24 Juin 2008 19h48
Quote Post

Superstar

Dragon

Some songs by Ricky from Laughters of Water Margin.

Thanks to the cutest animal of this forum for the links. wink.gif
panda.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
manolo
Ecrit le : Dimanche 06 Juillet 2008 15h11
Quote Post

Superstar

Dragon

A Ricky Concert Karaoke has been released :

In conjunction with the release of a new album, Canto-pop veteran Ricky Hui took to the stage in July 2006 for a solo concert. That memorable night of classic pop and hearty laughter now finally comes to video. Covering the bases with both funny and sentimental tunes, Ricky Hui performed songs like "Sound of Night Rain", "Missing You", and "Crazy for Money", plus covers like Unchained Melody and "Love You 10,000 Years". In between songs, he threw in some standup comedy, talking about the good old days with brothers Sam and Michael Hui. Sam Hui's son Ryan Hui stepped in for his father as the night's special guest, rocking out the classic "Half Catty, Eight Taels" with his uncle.

This release comes with the Karaoke DVD for the concert, as well as two CDs of live tracks.

user posted image

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Clarissamia
Ecrit le : Mardi 22 Juillet 2008 14h40
Quote Post

Rognure de Jackie Chan

Phoenix

Thanks for the info Manolo. Unfortunately I was not able to buy it yet, but I definitely will... icon13.gif

--------------------
manolo
Ecrit le : Mardi 22 Juillet 2008 18h46
Quote Post

Superstar

Dragon

Thanks to Palplathune who sold me his dvd, I finally managed to see Ghost For Sales. Despite a short running time, the movie still has some low action moments. It also lacks a little of craziness to fully entertain. But the cast, exclusively made of famous supporting roles, leaves a pleasant feeling to the viewer.

It starts a little like The Private Eyes, with Shing Fui-On playing a "Michael Hui-like" boss of a small ghostbusters company. His employees are Ricky who uses the taoist monk ways to catch the ghosts while Wilson Lam uses modern devices inspired by Bill Murray and his mates. The last member of the team is Sheila Chan, who is also Ricky's girlfriend.

Ricky plays different part than usual. First of all, he is a Taoist Priest, and not the assistant like in Lam Ching Ying's Mr Vampire. Secondly, far from his usual unsure with women character, this time Ricky plays a macho, careless about his girlfriend who will eventually leave him after many offenses.

The best of the comedy is provided by the ghosts busting scenes but it’s not enough to make it stand the comparison with the top of HK ghost comedies. Anyway it still delivers some good laughs and allows a generous share of screen time for Ricky. wink.gif In the same category, I would rather recommend The Haunted Cop Shop, also with Ricky in one of the leading parts. icon13.gif

user posted image

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
manolo
Ecrit le : Vendredi 19 Septembre 2008 17h02
Quote Post

Superstar

Dragon

Forever Yours

user posted image

Just because Ricky was listed in the cast, I had to look at this one. I didn't have too much expectation about it, but with Clifton KO directing a friendly cast including Sheila Chan, Michael Chow, Maria Cordero, and off course Ricky, I was sure not to be completely disappointed.

After the first 20 minutes I started to be a little scared when I realised that what I was watching was nothing else than a tribute to the legendary serial “The Love Boat” !!! what.gif Not only that, but it was also a musical. On the one hand I always enjoy hearing Ricky sing in his movies, but on the other hand the songs were really not the kind of music I enjoy. dry.gif

Finally the movie got better when the plot was set and when the actors’ charisma could start to operate. As the story, like it’s model, doesn’t focus on main characters but allow equal screen time for everyone, Ricky doesn’t have many occasions to make us laugh. In fact the movie is not to be considered as a comedy, but more as a romance and a musical. The most enthusiastic thing here is that all actors have one or several singing parts as the songs are used to introduce them or let us know their feelings.

It's hard to recommand a movie like this one, but I finally enjoyed it when I got caught by it's light happy mood. A photo gallery is available on the site. icon13.gif

user posted image

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Pages : (2) [1] 2 
1 utilisateur(s) sur ce sujet (1 invités et 0 utilisateurs anonymes)
0 membres :

« Sujets + anciens | General | Sujets + récents »

Topic OptionsReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll